Hot chocolate is a sweet, thick, dense and packed with spices. It’s just ideal for winter, frosty nights.
So should drinking chocolate during summer be recommended for masochists only?
I’ve been wondering for a long time, whether drinking chocolate at 30°C was generally a good idea.
Since my flat is located in the attic of a historic building, I had an opportunity to get the idea of living hell.Hot drinks? No, thanks. I’ll pass
We can have it all- frozen hot chocolate (it’s not an oxymoron!).
I figured that afterall you can have it all. Eat a cookie and have a cookie. Or in this case drink hot chocolate in the middle of hot summer.
The magic behind this project lies in a preparation of a substantially hot drink and then serve it ice cold.
Easy peasy,right? I must humbly admit at this point I’m not a cuisine genious and I did let myself get inspired by an outstanding Pastry Chef David Leibovitz.
However, I decided to go vegan on his recipe and spice it up a little bit.
So let’s get to work!
Frozen hot chocolate (serves two).
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk, (I used almond)
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- Stevia, or other sweetener to taste
- Ice cubes or
- A pinch of cardamom
- A pinch of cinnamon
- pour 2/3 of milk to a small pot (the kind of dedicated milk pot you can find at your Nan’s house yeah you know what I’m talking about)
- Heat gently, and stir continuously
- Add the cocoa powder and stevia
- While stirring add chopped dark chocolate
- Add the cinnamon and cardamom to taste (I recommend a pinch or something around 1/2 teaspoon)
- Take the potion off the heat and wait for it to cool down (once room temperature reached you can put it in the fridge for 15-20 min for further cooling)
- In a mean time blend ice cubes with the rest of milk
- Add blended ice cubes to the cooled off chocolate and pour it into the glasses
- Serve sprinkled with almond flakes
Instead of almond flakes I decided to (over)use a little creativity. I had some frozen chocolate skulls which I used for decoration instead of ice cubes.
I have to admit this move didn’t catch on. My friends slowly stop visiting me for some unknown reason.
Did I overdo it?
Have you ever tried frozen hot chocolate? Please let me know.